Tips On Relocating Your Washing Machine On Your Own. Part 2
The suggested way to relocate a washing machine is to get the services of professional, well-experienced movers to guarantee nothing gets damaged. But if you are hell bound on handling it yourself, the following guideline will help you out.
- Remove things from the machine. Ensure that there is no laundry left inside.
- Clean up the drum and drain lines. Remove traces of detergent through starting the shortest normal wash cycle or the specialized clean cycle using just water. After this, keep the door open for at least a day to make sure it dries up.
- Switch off the power. So that you are not electrocuted, do not forget to switch off electrical utilities. This can be done at the junction box. However, if you are not sure which ones connect the machine, switch off the power for the full home to avoid accidents.
- Turn off the water supply. This is though turning the valve which can be found behind the washer. Sometimes you may be required to pull it out a little to get to the valve. Make sure you do not tamper with any other lines.
- Drain the water source hoses. You can do this using the slip-joint pliers to remove the hot and cold water supply hoses if the machine does not heat water inside, or the cold supply one if it does heat water. Make sure the hose stays up when you remove it so that it does not spill, then drain it into a pail. Just in case some water spills over, have some mops or towels on standby to dry it up before somebody slips and falls.
- Remove the water supply hoses. Do this using the pliers, pack and label them.
- Empty the drain hose. If the machine has a drain hose linked to one that goes to a wastewater place, remove it and make sure no water remains.
- Remove lint from the pan that collects it, if it has a drier. Apart from this being an added way of making sure the machine remains clean, removing lint also ensures it stays in top shape and averts fires.
- Make sure the washer is completely dry. Do not transport it with any water in it. If it is taking too long to air dry, you could use pieces of cloth to dry it.
- Put in the transit bolts. These are very crucial because the drum suspension mechanism can very easily get damaged if the appliance keeps moving and rocking while in The bolts are usually put at the back where the drum is, although this depends on the type. That is where the manual comes in handy, or in case you are unsure, enquire from a professional how to do it.
- Secure the power cord. Stick it on the back with tape so that people do not trip over it.
- Know your assistants. Here is where you will need some aid because all the steps above you can get through on your own. The hard work begins here, and you have to go about it correctly to avoid damages or getting hurt.
- Cover it with blankets. These blankets provide padding and therefore keeps it safe through the move. Assisted by the people you requested for help from, lift it a little off the wall and cover with the blankets. Get tape to secure them and make sure all angles are covered.’ Blankets are better than anything plastic because plastics may trap in humidity which then encourages the growth of mildew.
- Get the washer on the dolly. Together with the other people, tip the machine behind and then place the dolly below it. Ensure it is firmly placed by using ropes and straps and that it is well balanced. If you do not have a dolly, you could always use forearm forklifts.
- Remove it from the house. Carefully push it out to the truck ensuring the dolly is balanced all through. If there is a staircase, be particularly alert and take your time going down.
- Keep it upright. The recommended way to carry a washing machine is when it is upright. Do not lay it on its side or down to avoid spoiling the drum.
- Load it up. Get it into the truck through the loading ramp, then secure it with more straps so that it does not move through the journey.
Cornwall long distance moving company additional suggestions are:
- Remember to unlock the bolts when you get to your journey’s end and level the changeable legs before you use it.
- Without the help of at least two people, and a dolly, then do not begin the process of getting the machine out.
- Keep in mind that doing this without experts is extremely risky because they are bulky and hefty.
- When you get to your destination, you may be completely exhausted. Do not try hooking up the machine until you get some sleep and rest to avoid making mistakes.
- In the case that you have nowhere to put it in your new home, you could always get a storage unit. Nevertheless, check that where it is being kept, the air is flowing openly and that they stay covered with the blankets.
- Keep the hoses and anything else you disconnected in a well-labeled bag because you will need them to reassemble the appliance when you get to your intended location.
- Safety Ensure that you have the correct footwear and clothes for the activity. You do not want clothes getting caught in something or another, or slipping while carrying the machine down the stairs because you are in the wrong shoes. This prevents unnecessary accidents and keeps you out of harm’s way too.